Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Beginning of Amelia: How we told our parents

I'm linking up with Kelly's Korner today as part of her Show Us Your Life series.  This week's topic caught my attention because it's about how you told your spouse and/or family that you were pregnant.  For me, that all occurred about three years ago.  In June of 2008, I went on vacation with some college friends to Las Vegas.  We all live in separate states, so we try to get together in the same spot once in awhile.  During the vacation, I felt a little ill, but I attributed it to the dry desert air as well as the fact that we were on the go all day, every day.  We spent most of the time in Vegas, but my friend Jill and I took a day trip to the Grand Canyon one day.  We were just too close to not go see it.  By the time I got home to Dallas, I was worn out.  I couldn't seem to shake the fatigue over the next few days.  I'd been trying to eat healthier for the past couple of months and had even lost twenty pounds which was great.  As I sat down to eat my baby spinach salad one Saturday for lunch, I took one look at it and felt a wave of nausea.  I thought that was odd because I had been eating that most days and really liked it.  I ended up eating something else and dismissed my odd feelings.  I realized that evening that I was a few days late on my cycle.  Wesley and I had been trying to get pregnant for the last six months.  It's strange that up until that point I hadn't considered that I might actually be pregnant.  I took a pregnancy test, and my jaw hit the floor.  Holding the test in one hand, I walked into the living room where my husband, Wesley, was watching Leave it to Beaver (it's odd how you remember small details).  In a daze, I told him that I just took the test, and it was positive.  I think he was stunned as well.  Suddenly I said, "We need to go buy more tests!"  We drove straight to Tom Thumb.  I'm glad that I don't remember how many tests I took in the next 48 hours.  I'd probably be embarrassed by the number. Haha! I know that it was at least 3 or 4!

It took a couple of weeks to get in to see my ob/gyn, but when we went to that appointment they confirmed that we were pregnant!  As soon as we left the doctor's office, Wesley called his mom and told her about it.  We were so excited, but I really wanted to tell my parents in person.  We live in Texas and all of our family lives in Oklahoma (most of them near each other because we grew up in the same town).  Wesley's family was having a reunion, so we picked that weekend.  I had onesies made up for my parents.  The one for my dad said "I love Papaw", and Mom's said "I love my Grammy"(Mia later changed her name to Mimi).  My parents are divorced (but thankfully get along great), so I lured my Mom out to Dad's on the premise that I needed a ride back to town.  When she arrived, I was telling them about my recent Vegas trip and announced that I had souvenirs for them.  I gave each one of them a bag.  At that point, my parents had no grandkids, but my dad's wife had a granddaughter (Kennedy) that Dad claims as one of his own.  She's so adorable!  Anyway, Dad opened his bag, saw the onesie, and said, "Oh, I'll have to show this to Kennedy."  Right about that time, Mom pulled her's out of the bag and said, "Um, I don't think that's for Kennedy!"  My dad seemed a little confused for a second but then it dawned on him as Wesley and I sat on the couch grinning from ear to ear.  This was followed by smiles, laughter, and tears of course.  I loved being able to pull one over on my parents to give them such a great surprise!  Amelia Korynn McGee arrived in January 2009.  We love our little Mia and enjoy watching her grow!

No comments: