Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What's That You Said?

Okay, so I'm willing to concede that Mia will not just magically start pointing at things and naming them off until she's ready. That being said, I'm not sure what to classify her first word as. As far as repeating words she hears, it could be either mama, dada, or bye bye. She has been saying those for awhile. She also says daddy sometimes as well as uh-oh and hi. The ladies at daycare said she told them thank you, but I can't get her to do it at home yet. Her newest word is baby. She has two favorite dolls that she calls Baby. She likes to carry one of them around saying, "Baby? Baby? Baby?" as though it's a question. There are other words that I can't make out. I guess she's still working on them. Instead of repeating "yummy" when I say it, I think I hear "nummies". Although, this is usually said when she's standing at the pantry door. She's no dummy. She knows good and well her snacks are kept in the pantry.

Mia has also become fascinated with taking off her shoes and socks. Then, she peers down at her feet as though inspecting them. Sometimes she picks one up to look closer. I'm not entirely sure what she's looking for.

Also, her hair is now starting to get long in front. I'm not sure what to do about this. Before too long, it will start getting in her eyes. So far, the ends of her hair are skimming her eyebrows. I don't know if I want her to have bangs or not. I'm thinking "not" because that will require regular trips to the barber for maintenance. I think I'll start putting a clip in it to hold the hair back, but that generates another question. Where oh where do I part her hair? (That sounded like Dr. Seuss.) It has no natural part as far as I can tell, so I haven't figured it out yet. Hmm, decisions, decisions...the adventures of taming toddler hair.

Mia is doing great with the sippy cup. She uses one almost exclusively at daycare, but sometimes she wants a bottle before naptime. I usually give her one before bed, too. The bottle is almost phased out. Another baby-ism disappearing to make way for big girl things. We're also trying to wean her off of her pacifier. She doesn't really need it, but she likes it. I'm hoping it won't be too hard. She doesn't use it at daycare (except on Tuesday when she was sick), and I try to limit her access to it at home. She mostly gets it at bedtime. It's hard not give it to her when she goes out like a light if she has it.

Mia with one of her babies.
I was cleaning out her closet, hence the mess in the hallway.

No comments: