Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Anasazi Munchkin and Four Corners

One of our rangers told us that the people who had lived in the cliff dwellings used to be called Anasazi, but they are now called Ancestral Puebloans (basically to be politically correct).  On Wednesday, we took Mia to Spruce Tree House.  She did very well and was finally interested in looking at the dwellings which she called "houses".  She was a little too eager at times.  This prompted me at one point to pull her back from an edge and say, "Mia if you dive head-first into a kiva, you're going to ruin our vacation!" Lol.  A woman standing next to me started laughing, and I couldn't help but laugh, too.  I think Mia was ready to take up residence in one of the dwellings.  She was dying to go inside one and play.  I was glad she finally got to really look around.  After leaving there, we went to see some of the Far View Sites which were on top of the mesa.

That afternoon, we all drove to the Four Corners.  It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere in the desert.  However, there were several vendors set up selling jewelry and other items.  We bought Mia a necklace and bracelet, and my dad bought me a turquoise bracelet.  Wes liked the scenery out there.  He said it looked just like the background to a spaghetti western movie.
Spruce Tree House


 Mia gives it two thumbs up!




Nana Bev heading down into a covered kiva

  She climbed all of the way out of the kiva by herself!
 This is where I chided her for acting like she was going to take a nose-dive into the kiva.

 Some of the Far View Sites



 Four Corners: New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado
Look Mommy! I'm in four states at once!
I can even do it on one foot!
 It does kind of look like something out of a western out there.
 

No comments: