Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mucho Mas Cliff Dwellings

Our 3 1/2 hour tour was scheduled for the afternoon, so on the morning of vacation day #5, we went to Cedar Tree House which were formations on top of one of the mesas.  It was fascinating, but Mia wasn't listening very well which reaffirmed our decision that she needed to stay at the camp that afternoon with her daddy.  I knew she would have fun there, though.  She loved that she could more or less get covered in dirt, and there wasn't much I could do about it until we went to the showers in the evening.  Also, there were lots of mule deer in the area.  They wandered through the campsites at will, and had no fear of humans.  Mia loved watching them.  Dad, Bev, Ryan, and I went on the tour.  It was a lot of fun.  I've always wanted to see the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde, and I was not disappointed.  They were built and lived in during around 900-1300 A.D.  It's amazing that they have been so well cared for and are still around for people to look at today.  I was hot and tired by the end of it, but I was so glad that I got to see all of the dwellings.
Cedar Tree House pics
It was weird to be in the desert and see snow-capped mountains in the distance.
  Wes and Ryan being funny



 Tour photos
Square Tower House from an overlook
Cliff Palace seen from across the mesa
 Took some pics from above Cliff Palace while waiting for our tour to start.


 Dad and Bev watching Ryan and I on the tour.  This picture is really zoomed in.  They looked like little specks up above us when I took this.
 Me at Cliff Palace
 View of the canyon from Cliff Palace
 Pic of the inside of a kiva

 Last ladder to climb out of the canyon. Whew!
 

No comments: