Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Walking Tall

The biggest news around here lately is that Mia can now take 3 or 4 (or sometimes 5) steps by herself. She's so proud of herself when she does it and giggles as she walks. It's adorable! She's become more comfortable holding onto someone and walking, and she zips along the furniture like it's no big deal. I tried to get some video of her doing it this evening, but I'll have to wait until Wesley is here to help me. Most of what I taped was her unfolding clean washcloths and throwing them in the floor one by one.

I've been trying to get Mia on more finger foods and less of the pureed food. That's harder than I thought. It's so easy to just bake a butternut squash, puree, and freeze. Voila! Several servings right at hand in the freezer. Each time she moves on to another stage of eating, it's an adjustment for all of us. That's because each time it's a new process that we aren't familiar with. We'll figure it out, and I'll continue to do what's needed to keep it healthy. She's never had jarred baby food yet, and I figure it's too late to mess with that stuff now. She likes the real deal. I highly doubt she would even eat the jarred food. Last week we started her on zucchini and then cantalope. She loved them both, so there's some finger food right there. I was excited this week to give her some scrambled eggs so that she'll have some protein in her diet, but...she was less than impressed with the eggs. That's okay. We'll try again in a few days. Next will be black-eyed peas. I've never prepared them on the stove before, just open a can and microwave. I avoid canned food for Mia because of the sodium content, so I bought a bag of dried black-eyed peas to make. We'll see...

Big changes coming with her birthday approaching in a week and a half. We have to do more baby-proofing around the house. This weekend we're going to look at new carseats. Formula will be on its way out to make way for delicious whole milk! So many changes in so little time. I still love every moment with her. I know Wesley feels the same. She brings such joy to our lives! (Sigh) I love my little family.

Mia at 11 1/2 months old (50 weeks)
Why is she always sticking her tongue out at me and laughing?
We may have a Miss Sassy Pants on our hands!

1 comment:

The Hanes Fam said...

I feel like we're at a rapid growth stage with Harper too. So much changing at once!!

We started with things like peas as a finger food. We just threw some on her tray and let her play with them, practice putting them in her mouth during meals.

Oh yeah - I love Mia's adorable outfits she's been in lately. ;) Glad she's getting good use out of them!